Monday, June 20, 2016

Beauty that surrounds you


          I just got back from spending a week in my hometown celebrating my dad’s birthday. I haven’t lived in Amarillo for 20 years now. (So hard to believe!) There are so many things about it that I didn’t appreciate or even notice when I was growing up there. I never thought the flat prairie with no trees was beautiful, but now I appreciate it. I didn’t think twice about being able to see stars forever in the clear night sky, the amazing views at Palo Duro Canyon, or even the quirky Cadillac Ranch. I actually had never even been out to the Cadillac Ranch until this trip. It wasn’t until I moved away that I began to notice and truly appreciate the things that make my hometown special. Some of these things I never thought about until friends who had never been there were asking about things to do on vacation. Then I started to think about it in a different way. What I thought was dull and boring when I lived there, has taken on a new light now that I live 10 hours away.
         It reminds me of an object lesson from a Bible study earlier this year about vultures and hummingbirds. Both of them fly over the same area. Vultures seek out and find death and decay. Hummingbirds seek out and find beautiful flowers and sweet nectar. Both can be in the same place at the same time, but find something completely different. It is all in what they are looking for. The same is true for us, our perspective has such an impact on what we look for and find. What a great reminder to look for the beauty that surrounds you right where you are!

         Enjoy some of the beauty of the Texas panhandle as well! Here are a few of my favorite pics. 


No comments:

Post a Comment